Tuesday 22 December 2009

Guiding Girls into the future

So, in a previous post, I've mentioned my involvement in the Girl Guides Association, and also briefly mentioned how I feel the Girl Guides had benefited me personally as a Leader and a person, and how I think it will be a useful experience for another generation of girls as they begin to grow into young women. Which is why when this article was handed to me during a meeting one night, I thought it would be a great idea to share it here, for anyone interested in the organisation to read;

http://www.gm.tv/articles/gmtv-today/october-2007/27343-girl-guide-power.html

It's an article by GMTV, on their website, that focuses on how being in Guides can, and has, helped many successful women in the UK achieve their goals. It maybe short, but it's informative and inspiring.

Also, more recently, this article on one of my favourite sites, The F-word, by Clare Burgess;

http://www.thefword.org.uk/features/2009/12/girls_in_the_le

I found it particularly interesting to read, as it gave me an opportunity to see the honest reception of someone new to Guiding and whether or not they found it a positive influence on the girls. Although the writer does examine and bring to light some of the aspects that they were not completely convinced of, I think she also saw the many benefits the girls enjoy, just the same as I have, from an organisation that was made for women by women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_guides

No comments:

Post a Comment